I'm saddened to hear about Sandra Bullock as well, mostly, I suspect, because she's so down-to-earth. As depressing as these stories are, though, I think we need to remember that just as many women as men probably ought to have warning signs on them. We do terrible things as well. Plenty of women cheat on their husbands. There are even a lot of men raising children who aren't theirs biologically; I suspect a number of them suspect what has happened but are saints who are not going to take it out on a little kid.

There are way too many men who are willing to abandon their wives and families. But there are women who 'oops' their husbands or boyfriends, deciding that what they want is more important and the guy will just have to be stuck with paying childcare. I'm having a really hard time seeing women as a group as more caring or moral than men. Sure, I know women who got dumped, but I know men in the same boat. It's not all one way.

And I don't happen to believe that people who get involved with married men are worse; they're both behaving badly. We all have temptations and we all have the responsibility to do the right thing. It's not ok to steal things if no one is watching. It's not ok to complain that you couldn't help yourself. Grownups do not offer excuses for their bad behavior.

Back to the topic, Sandra is a smart, wealthy woman. I hope and trust that she'll do what's best for herself. This cannot be any easier for her than it is for anyone else. I *do* think any personal business that becomes public must be that much more difficult to deal with.