MA & Nancy, I constantly worry and pray for my granddaughter. We were very close. I've sent her little cards to remind her that we love her, but I actually doubt that the mother is passing the cards along. The GD would be in a tricky position. She would have been the one to comfort and calm her mother down after we left that day, and she will always do whatever it takes to keep her mother happy, or at least "contained". Very very sad (understatement). We have contemplated legal action, just to be able to be sure that our GD is safe, but want to be very sure it's necessary before we do, because we know first-hand the excruciating ripple effects that such an action could have for the rest of everyone's lives. I hope that our hesitancy doesn't have equally or worse ripple effects further down the line. It's hard to know what to do. She's not in any physical danger, but I'm sure it's not the healthiest environment for her, always having to appease her mother like that, always having to compromise her way to peaceful co-existence, and she's only 9. Her brother's 3 and is safe (boys are coddled and worshipped in the Chinese culture!).

Anyway, I have to run, hubby's calling, we're renovating our bedroom and I need to go help hold some nails, LOL. Thanks everyone!!

(Maya Angelou)