(This is long, so I’m going to split this into two posts – please bear with me!)
#1:
Each of us has a unique financial and estate planning situation. There are so many factors to consider, and each factor has a different level of importance to each individual.

All too often we think of retirement and financial planning as aged-based – ‘I want to retire early, before 65!’ Or the sad-sounding ‘I’m never going to be able to retire; I’ll have to work forever....’

But think about how your life has changed as you’ve moved through adulthood. Consider how your attitudes about so many things have altered, as life experiences impact you and the people you care about.

Now – is this process going to stop when you reach your retirement date, whenever that is?

No, of course not! You will continue to change, both voluntarily and involuntarily. So will your spouse or partner. So will your friends and family. None of us can hold back the inevitability of Life and the changes that occur.

The reason why pro financial planners keep saying, “It’s not the age you retire, it’s the age you’re going to die,” is because it’s actually the idea of planning for a LIFESTYLE change. Retirement isn’t the primary goal.

So whether you call it financial planning, retirement planning, or estate planning, the true GOAL is to try to prepare yourself for the most likely changes to happen to you and your partner, in the short-, medium- and long-term.

What is important isn’t the money. It’s the plan for dealing with any changes in your life – whether physical or mental, internal or external forces. If you haven’t planned well, you will have limited options. You can have more options, even with limited funds, if you have honestly analyzed your circumstances and developed a workable plan for the future.

It isn’t easy. But a good plan gives you peace of mind as well as confidence that you can, indeed, deal with life effectively and empower yourself.