Oh Carolyn, what a great post!!

You and I graduated from high school the same year, and in similar parts of the country. I was in Madison, Wisconsin.

I too recall the desire to wear something besides skirts to school. We used to have one day a year that was called "Dress Down Day" and on that day we could actually wear jeans.

This was so significant that I actually recall my Dad asking me why I was dressed the way I was...

Of course, we used to have school spirit days and other special days too. On school spirit days we were all supposed to wear our school colors to class.

Our colors were purple and gold, and I remember that I found some boldly striped (as in 2 inch stripes) purple and gold fabric from which I made myself a PANTSUIT. I proudly wore this on school spirit days. I don't recall my kids ever having a dress-up day like this when they were in high school...

As for MY senior prom dress, it was a simple long A-line dress in apricot, with a high round neck with a rather demure slit that definitely didn't show any cleavage. Sleeveless and it probably had a slit up the side seam so I could dance...It's only decoration was a bit of floral embroidery at the neck. My date brought me an apricot colored rose corsage, to wear on my wrist... I recall thinking that it was quite sophisticated.

As for maxidresses, I loved 'em, but my pride and joy was my bright red wool maxi COAT, which I wore with knee high black boots with small heels. I thought I was really "hot stuff" in that coat!

Who else remembers high school fashions from the late 60s and early 70s?

Such fun memories!

Edited by Anne Holmes (08/12/10 03:17 AM)
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com