Anno I love the story of your Dad standing up for you at school but laying down the law at home. Sounds so much like my Dad at the time.

And Carolyn, I bought all my own clothes. Like you, I saved my allowance, my baby sitting money -- and eventually got a job at a trendy boutique and later at Gimbel's Dept. store, so that I could afford the clothes I wanted to wear. I also sewed just about all of my clothes, as I saw that as a way to get more clothes for my dollar...

That red maxi coat was not only my pride and joy but one of my personal creations. It sure did help keep me warm -- which was imperative since I likely was wearing a mini skirt underneath and Wisconsin winters are brutal!

Edelweiss, your love story rivals the one they made the movie about. My parents told me that they would allow me to date a Black boy if I so chose, but they wanted me to know that society would not look kindly on my actions... I hardly dated in high school, so it was pretty much a moot point for me, but I was glad to know I would have had my parents' support.

Edited by Anne Holmes (08/17/10 07:08 PM)
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com