I had a brass teapot holder for the hearth inherited from my home.it was engarved "Oor Ain Fireside" a Scottish term and a song we were sung as children.I liked it and I knew it was old.

My husbands niece admired it and eventually I gave it to her willingly.I was 25 at the time.In time I discovered she had given it to her FIL who "liked it better than me" her quote.

I regret more than I can say..it had been my Gt Grandmothers and since doing family history I have recalled the item.

Mostly because these women before me had polished the stand I wish I could do so now

I do have a mirror of the same provinance and although not valuable it is old..and we all looked in this mirror to do our hair check our beauty..he! he! before school..work and family occasions.I wont part with it.A friend embellished it with stained glass fushia over the darkened marks..I have made a treasure of a family item

This niece became an antiques dealer both in US and UK..was remiss of keeping in contact until she needed us..so early on I learned that family treaures are but lent and should remain just that...in the family.
My husband found Wemyss ware local pottery his mother had stored she claimed that ..she sold it.as this had no sentimental value and it had been her Grandmothers it matters not..

every day items when past their use or need I do declutter.