I too would rather buy locally grown food and food that comes from my region. And I would love to buy more from growers I know... It really puzzles me that we can't do this more easily.

For example, this afternoon Steve and I went to a local restaurant for lunch. We got soup and homemade bread, and I had coffee.

Now geographically, we live in extreme NW Illinois, and are within 10 miles of crossing the borders into Iowa or Wisconsin. We live in an area where agriculture and tourism are big business, and in fact, one of our local restaurants - which happens to be owned by the same owners who own the restaurant we were dining in -- makes a point of only serving locally grown food...

So I am looking at the wrappers that came with the butter and the packaging for the little half and half containers... And I was astounded to discover that the butter came from TEXAS and the half and half came from upstate NEW YORK!!

This is a big pet peeve with me. WHY -- when I am sitting within 10 miles from the DAIRY STATE -- do my dairy products come from halfway across the country!!?

Likewise, I was putting some ground beef into a pot of chili the other day, and I noted from the packaging that my beef was a product of CANADA, despite the fact that beef cattle are raised all around me...

I know this has to be economics somehow, and I am sure that if I made a point of driving 10 miles to a local butcher shop I might be able to buy some locally produced beef, for example. But I suspect I would pay more for the opportunity.

I would love to buy more of my meat, dairy and vegetables at our many local farmer's markets, but early Saturday mornings -- when they are always held -- are not a convenient time for me to shop.

During the summer, I frequent a local grower who sells locally grown produce, honey and flowers from a shed on her farm property -- but she's only open seasonally - and then only a few days a week. And you still have to get there before Noon...

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on this?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com