Quote:
Meridith how do you reachone the karma balance is regulated if considerring reincarnasion? goood deads get rewarded with a better life in the next life. dose it ever go the opposite way.......a real hard life is the rewared for the previouse life success at overcomming adversity? how dose it address poverty striken cultures and is thir ever a risk that us in our developed wealth get arrogant over the less developed cultures? Dose it all pice together?

Celtic, I have no absolute answers, but some (although not all) of the Hindu beliefs regarding reincarnation resonate with me.

Having wealth is not a crime of the soul, and as such wouldn't be punished. However, gaining wealth through the suffering of others; or using wealth to harm another -- would be.

Why do so many people live in poverty and have hard lives? I don't know. Are they being punished for past life transgressions? I don't know.

When I look, I can imagine a rhythm to all this -- discord as much as sweetness. Ebb and flow. But that's my belief system.

Poet and essayist