When I was growing up, our house wasn't pet-friendly, for some reason. We had a cat for all of about 2 days and then it disappeared, a canary that died after about 2 weeks. After that, we were never allowed to have pets again.

But I did meet two dogs in my lifetime who left wonderful memories in my heart. One belonged to my church deacon who was also my spiritual director for many years. That little dog had an uncanny ability to read my soul and knew just when I needed some TLC...she would greet me at the door, then come and nestle at my feet for the entire time I was there, sometimes resting her head gently on my knees. She always made me feel warm and loved. She died many, many years ago, but she will always have a special place in my heart, I could never forget that warm heart beating against my feet.

The other dog, Michaud, belonged to my husband's niece. We connected immediately, and he would do the same sort of thing, though he was a huge dog. He would crawl up on the couch and lay his head in my lap. One time when we were staying in their spare room in the basement, hubby and I were in the room getting ready, when Michaud came prancing into the room with bright and happy eyes, carrying a small pillow, clearly expecting to sleep in there with us. Michaud brought much joy and warmth to my life, and though he's been gone for many years, he also has a special place in my heart and will never forget him. I still miss him terribly whenever we visit that house.

(Maya Angelou)