I visited a friend in hospital last year and this topic came up.There were way over the allowed visitors and we had spilled into a day room.Nancy is well loved.
The most outspoken visitor complained about her 19 year old...talked about her MiL.her husbands relationship with her which was very similar to what she was sharing about their son.
believed strongly boys dont like keeping in touch...only want and dont give were her words.several added similar stories..Some sad and some ghastly.
I waited and amongst a group of nice women some who were sharing that there was loss of contact said what I share here.

I accept that this is what has happened but wont say remain silent and say nothing..
when
My son does show kindness to both his parents...that we have a bond...that we discuss and disagree on many topics but that my experience is not that he has distanced himself.He is now an adult version of the son we always had He has always kept in touch..given senstively chosen gifts..sometimes when he did not have much.
He has been able to leave home return home and between us all his sister included we blend and bend like a sapling.He has visited both his Dad and I when we were in hospital...he has cleaned my home..he administed first aid when his Father collapsed..he championed his sister when a contact of hers was out of order..he is funny...intelligent..engages in martial arts..and yet will feed an unwanted cat until it is tame..he is our legacy
some of the women that day then spoke up..saying that they knew this reflected much the same with their own sons..and that what I said they knew to be true knowing my family

I honor my boy...and in my dealings with pupils and students of both genders..I first access if what I say to them is what I would want some other to say to my own children.
My son is our legacy