We too have to fight both sand and that horrid caliche beneath is, just like in Arizona Yonuh... When first moving here years ago, and unaware of the soil I tried one garden after another to no avail. I believe the only thing I ever planted that grew and is bigger and more beautiful now than ever are the Oleander bushes, with either pink, crimson or white huge flowers. They grow anywhere, and I mean anywhere. They line the divider in the middle of most of our highways. No one cares for them but yet they thrive and grow. Oh, and they smell so good...

There was a movie with Michelle Phiefer called WHITE OLEANDER, where she murdered her husbands by grinding the white flower of an Oleander into their milk; the plants are deadly poison and signs say DO NOT allow your aqnimals to eat or chew on these plants.

This year I have the upside down hanging baskets on my patio for regular and tiny tomatoes. I am having a above ground planter box made for cucumbers, squash and whatever else I can think of. Good luck with whatever anyone does as a gardener.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/