Cuba has been heavily focused on the tourist industry for over a decade now. It's one of the most popular winter destinations for Canadians (especially Quebec). So much so that in many areas of Cuba the second major language is French. Most of the Cubans we meet in the tourist areas speak several languages, Spanish, English, French, German and Italian being the primary ones. When they're not working (ie, in off-season) they go back to university and study more languages. If it weren't for the steady stream of loyal repeat tourists, we often wonder if Cuba would have collapsed a long time ago. Our money, goods and presence are keeping Cuba alive and people employed, clothed and fed.

As for revolution, I would daresay that it would be impossible for the Cubans to stage the kind of revolts we're seeing in other parts of the world. Cuba is very heavily controlled. Any revolt would be met with severe and immediate repercussion. Having said that, I think that many Cubans are getting to the point where they feel they have nothing to lose anyway, so it's not entirely impossible that we could see some kind of uprising in the near future. I fear for our friends if that happens, because what little they do get now will be cut off and the tourists will stop coming, which could be disastrous.

IMO, all the Cubans can safely do is wait for Fidel to die and the US to lift the embargo. The embargo is the primary reason that Cuba cannot trade with other countries and is why the Cubans cannot buy the things they need - because nobody is allowed to export those goods to Cuba.

(Maya Angelou)