Anne, I have to disagree with you about voters in the Bible Belt not putting up with a candidate's behavior. Oh, they talk a good game here, all right, but this is the area of the country that specializes in teen pregnancies and multiple marriages. Living here for a long time has made me pretty cynical. What the folks around here really support is 'other' people behaving better.

Remember back in 2008 when it was revealed that Sarah Palin's daughter was pregnant? A lot of people thought that might be a problem. Not here! We actually lead the nation in men and women married 3 times or more. That's one of the reasons why Newt is doing so well: he has used the old "I've been forgiven" routine, wbich in his case means he can do whatever he wants.

I think you are right about Romney's religion being a problem. Even though he has been married to the same woman and doesn't seem to be a serial killer, people will decline to vote for him because of his religion. Never mind the fact that the Constitution actually states that there will be no religious tests for office AND we seem to be more intolerant than in the past, Mitt is just the wrong man in the wrong place.

Ron Paul, of course, being a libertarian, doesn't support any of the evangelical social issues, so those voters can deal with that as they choose. It will be interesting. You know, voters keep complaining that they want candidates to be honest, but only support people who tell them what they want to hear....