You have more patience than I do, Anne. I thought it was so badly done that I couldn't stay with it. The thing that hit me was how lazy Lohan was concerning her performance. I didn't think she did her homework at all. I felt that she just read the script and did the part without trying to understand the person she was actually trying to bring to the screen - the incredible presence and personality of Elizabeth Taylor! Later in her life she became simply a celebrity, but in the early years Elizabeth was an amazing persona. I didn't think Lohan made a real attempt at capturing the legend that was "Liz." The actor who played Richard Burton didn't look remotely like Burton, but at least it seemed he tried to get his voice, his body language.
Frankly I think it's hard for the current generation to grasp the powerful personality of a "Star" back in "our day." The dynamics have changed so drastically with the 24-7 coverage of anyone who has any success in front of the camera.
I agree with you that there are parallels between Lohan and Taylor - but I have to say that I think Lohan is a real light weight in comparison.
But, that is just my opinion! My not so very humble opinion!
However, isn't it just grand that we have the right to express our not so very humble opinions!?!
Here's to you, Anne!
Blog: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6037984.Marsha_Roberts/blog