Hi Anne,
Sounds likes you Mom has found a good fit for herself for aging in place. Great idea when life slows and there is enough income to be able to live in a community that offers a LOT of amenities.You are right as far as the costs go for aging in place communities. Spendy. If one can afford this choice it can be a great one! I am sure you are a lot less concerned about your Mom's golden years now she is in a supportive community.

Me, I'm into shared housing Anne, which is DIFFERENT in many regards from CO-HOUSING. Co-housing requires an upfront cost in order to live in such a community and often is a built from the ground up endeavor: http://www.cohousing.org/six_characteristics

SHARED Housing is what I am talking about..where folks who have a space to share offer to open their home to housemates. This option uses EXISTING homes, reducing the need to build more and more housing. I like that part of shared housing among other reasons.

Same TYPE of scenario on SOME levels, but the upfront cost of CO-HOUSING can be prohibitive for some.

As in my situation I left my marriage with zero money in my pocket and living from my own self employment means literally week to week. Shared housing was really the only option that didn't require a large upfront investment for me.

It's had its challenges, finding a good match for my needs and lifestyle but I'm feeling pretty pleased that the investment of my time, research and energy has paid off. I too have a much wider community of support from being immersed in the process.

I think we all need to look widely at what wonderful ideas are out there for us and not close the door on any options, to be sure.

Thanks Anne for adding your thoughts and sharing the differences in the variety of options that are out there to put a roof over our heads!

Lets Share Housing
Personal Assistant & Shared Housing Advocate
503-719-5444 PST