Thanks for those thoughts, Copygal.

I know what you mean about how sheltered a person can be, going straight from living with parents to living with a spouse.

I did that too. I did live in a sorority house one year while I was in college, but that wasn't much different from living at home -- in that there was always food on the table at mealtime, people to talk to whenever you needed to talk, and plenty of activities to choose from.

I got married the first time while still in college, so I hadn't yet had the time to be on my own, and totally responsible for myself.

After I got divorced, I realized that I needed to gain this experience, so I made a plan to live alone for at least five years before marrying again. And I did.

Now I know that, should I become widowed, at least in my grief I will have the confidence of knowing that I CAN live alone. And i believe that would be a comfort during my grief.

I think all people would benefit from having to spend some time living alone. Just so you know you have the experience.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com