I'm curious as to when most people start their end-of-year (holiday) shopping.

My question rises to the top, because I just read that PayPal has just announced a free two-day shipping promotion that starts now, I guess. If not now, then by October 30.

They've decided to get the jump on the traditional big holiday shopping blitz that traditionally begins with US Thanksgiving because their research shows people begin buying earlier than that.

Now I know my daughter shops all year long, and she'll be totally done with all of her shopping before T-day. Part of the reason for that is that her husband's family celebrates what they call "Thanksmas." They all get together for thanksgiving weekend, and celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas in one big happy, family frenzy.

I'm sure the reason for this is the scheduling difficulties that develop as kids grow up, have families of their own, and want to open Christmas stockings at home on Christmas morning.

I personally no longer get involved in all the crazy "X number of shopping days until Christmas" frenzy, because MY family (sibs, parents and kids) has chosen to get together on the first weekend AFTER Christmas.

We started doing this years ago, because my brother-in-law was an Episcopal minister, and the 24th and 25th are big work days for him. He's retired now, and we could probably shift back, but we don't because this plan - like the "Thanksmas" one, allows nuclear families to be together at home on the most important days.

Besides, given that the liturgical year recognizes that the 12 days of Christmas begin -- not end -- with the 25th, it is still technically Christmas until January 6th.

This date shifting works great for bargain shoppers, because if they're fast they can take advantage of post-holiday sales to finish up their shopping.

So how about you? Are you a "get my shopping done early" person? Or do you like to wait until the last days before the end, so you can be part of the last minute shopping frenzy?

Just curious...so "do tell."

Anne
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com