I agree on the brining, Orchid. I have just done some research on it, (since my son sent me the recipe I mentioned above).

IMHO, the key element of this recipe is that the chef was using a piece of fresh boneless breast. And though the chef didn't say so in the video, I am quite positive it hadn't been previously "brined" by the addition of an injected saline solution.

All of the turkeys I checked at the megasupermarket yesterday -- fresh or frozen -- whole or pieces -- had all been processed by a major turkey provider (such as Butterball, Jennie-O) and all had been so "treated."

I'm beginning to suspect that in the US these days, the only way you can possibly buy a turkey that hasn't been so treated would be to buy a fresh one from a local butcher shop OR direct from the farmer.

But my thinking is that brining a bird that has already been injected with a saline solution is essentially brining it twice. And THAT would be enough salt to choke a horse, so to speak.

Even The Pioneer Woman, one of my "go to" sources for recipes addresses the issue of over-saltiness with a brined bird. (Check the link for details.)

So unless I can discover that my local grocery's butcher has FRESH turkeys, I'll be staying off the "brined bird" wagon.

Edited by Anne Holmes (11/24/13 07:02 PM)
Edit Reason: clarity
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com