There are some advantages to condo /townhouse living.
I will not assume that I will be to afford to pay someone else to clean my house.... I already have a sister who lost her hearing in 1 ear and she's only 53 yrs. She lives in her own house and she needs to be careful about her balance. She still works. She cannot even afford to buy a computer because she is paying a mortgage.

And my parents in their 80's live in a 3 level house which we are not thrilled. They have a house but are poor. My father is dying from cancer and needs to be careful walking up and down staircases. Their children (siblings) are not around to help because they all work full-time because they must..

So I'd rather face the changes now and make clear decisions to adjust my homestyle living while I'm still healthy and working full-time. Rather than face the unpleasantness of someone else telling me what to do/where to live when I'm frail.

I have to...help myself now.

I think my partner's mother who lived until 93 yrs. Her husband died when she was 82 yrs. Her final home before nursing home was a small 500 sq. ft. new apartment and very clean. It was right for her since she was using a walker at that time. It was a bit small, but she liked her own place ..

I have lived in 770 sq. ft. sized condos for the last 25 yrs. across 3 different major cities. 1 condo I share with dearie.

Sure it would be nice have an extra rm. for painting, guest. But that means I have to pay more. Not the end of the world.

By the way, I have possessions across 2 cities....so gradually reducing stuff.

How can I live this?: I grew in a 1 bedroom apartment which mushroomed to 5 children in Onario (not in a developing country)...before my parents bought their lst house.

Let's see, there was pipe leak...and now we have to move our furniture for floor replacement.

Thank goodness, I don't have much to move around and stuff into my bedroom.

Edited by orchid (05/31/14 08:08 PM)