My favourite grilled cheese sandwich (and now I want one, LOL) starts with pumpernickel bread, I spread a very thin layer of honey (no butter) on the inside of each slice, then layer not-too-thin-not-too-thick pieces of jarlsberg cheese (not the pre-sliced, I buy the blocks and slice it myself because I find all slice cheese to be a bit too rubbery for my taste). Sometimes I've added fresh mozzarella as well for an extra treat, but usually just stick to the jarlsberg. Then I put the sandwich together, lightly butter the outside (real butter, not margarine) and grill it. I don't use our panini grill, but do like to flatten it with the spatula until all the cheese is melted and starting to ooze out the sides and the outside is a nice golden brown with a bit of crispiness.

In the past I've also added sliced grapes to grilled cheese sandwiches. I like the sound of the bacon, but would probably just have it on the side. I'm not so fond of mixing the nice gooeyness of the cheese with the crunch of the bacon, though as I'm writing this, my mouth is watering at the thought of mixing those flavours together, LOL.

I have long banned white flour breads from my diet, but those fresh croissants in Paris were impossible to resist. But normally we don't bring any white bread into the house. The more grains and heartiness to the bread, the better to my taste.

And now I'm really hungry for one of these grilled cheese sandwiches!!

(Maya Angelou)