I've been interested in this again lately. Specifically because one of the homes in our little townhouse subdivision is for sale right now, and the prior residents turned it into a home on the main floor for the original family - and a complete "mother-in-law" apartment on the lower level.

By complete, I mean the lower level has its own living room, dining room, full kitchen, full bath, and at least one bedroom. I'm not clear if it has a separate entrance, however. I suspect that it does not, just based on the topography of the house. (Our lower level has an exterior door, but we have a flat yard, while they are on a hill.)

Before my mother became too incapacitated to travel on her own, she always wanted me to build a little "casita" for her in my back yard, so she could come visit when she wanted to -- but not encroach on the happenings in the main house.

So what do you think? Can you see yourself living in a multigenerational household?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com