Oh good heavens, Jabber. That is a tough question!

I have long said that I would never run for public office - especially a national one - even though I love the idea of serving my fellow inhabitants of the earth. Too many haters in the world, and too many people who would look at choices I have made in the past and question them. Even though I might believe that I made the best possible decision for the time.

Anyway, I have not been a fan of Trump. I think a lot of the stuff he's been saying is ill-informed hot air. BUT I was really surprised this morning to hear that fellow billionaire Mark Cuban - who has not seemed to be a fan of Trump in the past - make a fairly positive comment about his presidency.

According to CNN Politics, Cuban said:

The part I found most important was this:
Quote:
"I don't care what his actual positions are," Cuban wrote. "I don't care if he says the wrong thing. He says what's on his mind. He gives honest answers rather than prepared answers. This is more important than anything any candidate has done in years."

Cuban says Trump's willingness to withstand the scrutiny that comes with running for political office was admirable.

"Up until Trump announced his candidacy, the conventional wisdom was that you had to be a professional politician in order to run," Cuban wrote. "You had to have a background that was politically scrubbed. In other words, smart people who didn't live perfect lives could never run."

So: the problem with running for national office is that you never get to start from a totally clean plate. These is always going to be a hangover of "stuff" that happened before you got there, which you will be sucked into. You can't help it.

And that's - IMHO - one big reason why new and aspiring politicians generally fail to actually do the things they run on. They can't. The old quagmire trips them up.

And if I were POTUS, I guess one thing I would want to do to help make America Great again would be to put programs in place that would actively involve real people in fixing the little stuff in each of our communities. Sort of an FDR-like program, it would help get our roads and bridges fixed affordably, it would get older people working with youth, it would help people help each other.

But I'll have to think further, Jabber, about how it would work.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com