A MIND IN TORMENT
Every human being has a breaking point.
It is part of the human condition.

Ask anyone who has had both a physical illness and had a breakdown, to choose between these two and they will usually prefer to endure the physical illness.

Distress of the mind is not just imagination or self inflicted injury. Nerves are the cause of the most distressing symptoms, anyone can bear. The mind in torment can vibrate, tense, twist and torment every muscle and every organ in the human body into a knot of the utmost pain. The agony is very real even if the cause is in the mind.

The bodily symptoms are only a small part however, of the suffering. Even worse is the restlessness and discontent of the mind, the sadness and misery of the mood which destroys all enjoyment of life.

The distress is seated at the very point of morale and self control of the individual, so that they have to watch every movement, every utterance until despite every effort they become totally self-absorbed just as their muscles twitch, so also do their sensations.

The nerve endings feel uncovered, unprotected, raw and super-sensitive. Eventually a cloud of misery falls down over the sufferer which further isolates them from everything they used to enjoy. The laughter of their children they delighted to hear, becomes a jingling torment. Their favourite music now assails them like a knife going through their brain. Their loved ones mean nothing to them. They are even beyond tears, beyond feeling, beyond thought, isolated in a personal world of terror. Segregated from all they used to enjoy their mind harks back to the guilt’s sorrows and fears of their past. These are relived again and again until they appear as recent as yesterday. Meeting friends becomes almost impossible because of the difficulty in concentration, the intrusion of morbid thoughts, the irritability and embarrassment of blushing, trembling hands and uncontrolled, unwanted tears.

“pull yourself together …… no one else can help you, you’ve just got to help yourself”.

------------------------------------------------

I have 4 more pages of info like this to help you as you undergo a breakdown. Let me know through this posting if you want me to continue.

This is a transcript of a tape from my dear psychiatrist