I recently read a book "A Million Little Pieces". It's a true story about a 23 yr old addict that goes through 16 days of intense drug and alcohol rehab. It's gritty, rough, but shows it like it is; not a pretty painted picture for the faint hearted or pure. Although it has had a lot of media attention regarding truth v/s fiction, there is solid truth the merits and realities of day to day living in a rehab program.

What it also shows is how the 12 step program works. It got me thinking how this program would be of value to those with other problems such as mental illness or other types of addiction, including food, cigarettes, gambling, you name it.

I've already started. It feels great. I'm getting positive responces. I feel lighter. I know it's not a cure, but I feel more accepting of myself in something I can't change. I can change the way people remember me.

If you have anyone in the family with drug or alcohol problems you should read this book. It gives great insight into the users state of mind even if the facts are not 100% true.

[ February 24, 2006, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: suzieq ]