Yesterday was a big day for my grandson, Colin. Rusty, my daughter's husband, officially adopted Colin as his son. Colin's natural father, has never seen Colin, except in pictures, and has become handicapped, so he never will see him. He lives in California and was having a real struggle keeping up with the child support payments with his disability. Rusty had been thinking about adopting Colin since he and Becky were married back in 1999, but was afraid it would cost a lot of money. It really wasn't that expensive. I wish we could post pictures on this forum, but will soon have the picture posted on my personal website for anyone interested to access. Anyway, we are very proud of Colin and Rusty was so sincere about adopting Colin that he started crying during the ceremony. It was very sweet. Colin is happy now, too. At first, when approached about the idea, he was reluctant, and said he wanted to stay a Barnes, because his grandpa was a Barnes. So Dennis had a talk with him and told him that he would always be a Barnes inside and that it would mean a lot to Rusty for him to take his name. Colin loves Rusty and so after thinking about it, decided it was the right thing to do.
After the ceremony, which took about 10 minutes or less, we went to a Chinese restaurant for lunch and then I took Colin, his mother and sister to Walmart and let him pick out a small gift.
It was a pretty good day.