Interesting idea, Smile! LOL! It does sound tempting now and again. Although like learning everything I need to know about all the different insurance options I'm offered, it sounds like too much work to learn everything about every issue....

Actually, I'm pretty happy with my senators and representative, particularly the latter because he (Sam Farr) is a thinking man, avoiding the nastiness that invades politics too much these days.

One of the reason our tax codes are so huge, is that they have been patchworked over time with this interest and that interest. Laws aren't eliminated, they are modified. Good for accountants, bad for us.

But the Fair Tax Law (good or bad as it may be) is a "how" solution. It's not a "why" solution. Why are there taxes? What do we want them to do for us? And what does the big picture look like? Our government is running a deficit now, in part (although not totally) due to the recent tax cuts. As a result we are borrowing more money from other countries, mortgaging our future as a country.

So Smile has a good point, what do we need our government to do? How do we want our money spent? How did a bridge to a lightly occupied island in Alaska make it into the current budget, and other programs get cut? If we send messages to our congresspersons, what is it we want them to do? And how much money do we want them to have to do it?

Interesting topic...