Constituents are only one of many forces tugging at our elected representatives. Most of the others have more direct impact. There's the party, lobbyists, corporate campaign finance, the media, and pollsters, all with more immediate access which gives them greater influence. It is far too easy for the wishes of the constituent to get lost in the fray.

I wish I felt more positive about our elected representatives. I'm sure not all are corrupt, but it seems that far too many get power drunk and change for the worst once elected. Term limits might help, but it could also result in replacing bad with worse.

My government by telephone idea is really sort of tongue in cheek, but it would certainly give us more authority over our own destiny. Of course with authority comes responsibility and I'm not sure everyone is willing to tak that on. It is easier to blame the politicians for poor judgement than to make our own decisions.

But even as a threat, it might frighten some career politicans into compliance with the wishes of their consitiuents. It's time they understand they work for US.

I should write a play about that. ??

smile

[ January 29, 2006, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]