It probably won't happen, but if the majority of Americans went to the polls and voted for a Ralph Nader, for instance instead of the two candidates forced upon us by the two predominate parties, what a message THAT would send...
I lived in Texas during the "reign" of ...sorry, having a senior moment...independent who ran and actually had some followers for a while...what was his name?? I knew what he was all about, and just couldn't vote for him. However, Ralph Nader had some viable points and seemed to know just what it would take to get the job done. (he did look way too much like Mr. Rodgers though).
I have a whimsical idea...do you think we could put a sack over the heads of the candidates until they are elected? I'm sorry, but I couldn't have stood 4 years of having to look at Kerry or Nader in the press every day. Clinton and Bush are bad enough and 4 yrs. of Hillary would be impossible! LOL
Case in point of how we are so molded by the media and how someone is presented to us. The press can make or break a candidate. Just as in the real estate business where curb appeal can make or break a sale.
Just look at magazines like the Enquirer or People or US. Take one look at Britney Spears cottage cheese thighs and she's not the diva anymore. Read about Chelsea Clinton's abortion or tragic love affair and desperation in private life, and the parenthood of the CLinton's is gravely questioned. Some of us wonder, if they can't successfully parent their only child, how can they run a country with compassion and wisdom.
We are greatly impacted by the media even to who we will vote for. If a third party candidate got as much air time or as biased press as one or both predominate parties, we might be swayed to vote for them.