Kay, Devastation of this magnitude hits at the heart of all of us. I've never been to New Orleans but grieve its loss as if it was my own hometown. I had trouble sleeping last night, worried that the tail end of this hurricane would flood out my two young nieces living outside of Toronto. Thankfully, that didn't happen, but for that entire night I had nightmares of them being stuck on their roof with nobody to rescue them.

So that gives me a taste of the agony that so many others are going through whose worst nightmares DID come true.

One of the dangers for those of us who have to watch and wait and don't know what we can do to help is slowly succumbing to a sense of futility. That the problem is too immense and overwhelming, that our little light won't make any difference at all. But that's never true. Every little dime and nickel helps. Every prayer helps. Every caring thought expressed in any way wherever you are ripples right on down the line. We can only start where and how we can and trust that it's just as vital and valuable as the bigger stuff.