I'm sure we have all been there...getting the presents that are nothing you'd ever want, use, need or anything. A once-in-a-while bad gift you just overlook, but what if it's a yearly event? How do you tactfully tell the person to change their gift giving style? For instance, my sister always sends me a food basket with those beef sticks, cheeses and fruitcase. Ugh! They either go in trash or I donate to shelter. Another friend has given me LARGE stuffed animals every year..very expensive ones. I have no room in a small apartment and the $100 she spends I sure could use on groceries. My mom always gets me coffee table books...expensive ones again. But I have no coffee table and again, being out of work for 2 years, I sure could use something else.

How do I get off this train? It pains me that these people spend time and money for gifts that I have no use for and give away. And if they do want to give me something, well, there are many other things I can use being as broke as I am right now. My other sister says that mentioning to them is tacky and I should be grateful I get anything. But I just can't let this go on.

Has anyone had the same problem? What have you done? Help..I want to start this early for next year!