Yes it is definately time to get a professional involved.

Your family meeting was the day before this young man got paid and he disregarded his responsibility to pay the rent or anything towards expenses. I would make sure you have ANY valuable keepsakes hidden, as he may retaliate against you if he decides to leave on his own and needs fast cash/quick cash items, jewelry etc.

If only you and your husband could convince him to get some counselling. You mentioned his biological parents weren't around for him. I guess he was disappointed when he found out one was on the street addict and another in jail/prison. He may be old enough to act right and know better, but I can only imagine some of his pain.

If he had been raised like you Mary, what a lucky young man he would be. It seems his trouble started the day he was born. He didn't have a chance. Parents, broken home, etc. He is probably lashing out because he feels he doesn't deserve the love you are trying to give him. It's something he's not used to yet. Did you consider sitting with him and talking about how you were both raised by others and talk about the similarities and differences. It is something you BOTH have in common. (A common link may be the connection to gain some trust in your genuine concern for him?)

It still doesn't give him a right to treat you and your husband this way. I have added all of you to my daily prayer list. Please keep us posted. May it turn out that you are this young man's new best friend.

chick