Dotsie, that is too stupid. Even for a non-thinking ignorant person. I understand your point clearly, but really, "would he talk English" is just too stupid. I'm really worried...
When one woman asks another woman if she has children, and the woman says "no" the "no" it is a conversation stopper. I used to fill the pause after her question and my "no" with a personal explanation. Now I know I don't owe an explanation except if it's appropriate as in this forum in response to Di's thought provoking questions. I went back to college in my forties. People assumed that I had already raised, say 3 kids, and when I "got done" raising them I went back to college. It was a pet peeve of mine in college that woman would ask "how many children do you have" before asking "what is your major." I forgot to mention: When I was 15, my sister was born with Down syndrome. In the 1960s, my step-mother was told in the hospital that my little baby sister Heather should go immediately to an institution. But my step mother asked to hold her, just once, and of course she could not give up her child. Bringing Heather home was, well, not good. The neighborhood was aghast and cruel (such as pointing and whispering when she was being walked in the carriage) family was embarrassed. You know the story from TEARS. Anyway, at age 4 my step mother did put that child in an "institution." I was told never to speak of my sister again. Therein lies yet another reason not to have children. So was this choice a 15 year old can make? I don't know...I was just afraid of the family. Is fear a reason? I don't know. Did the insanity in the family take my choice re: children away? I don't know. I can imagine that wanting a child and not being able to in a way that one wants to would be akin to a loss and grief..but I'm just guessing away here.