The crisp sheets leave marks on my skin. Seriously. When we sleep in hotels, sometimes the sheets burn and chafe me all night. It was such a relief to finally find the Egyptian cotton sheets for our bed several years ago. They were a high thread count, and purple (do you know how hard it is to find purple sheets here in Canada? Impossible! I think I finally found them on Amazon.com and ordered them through a friend in the States.) After 5-6 years of regular washing, they still look and feel fresh and soft.

We tried putting cheap sheets on both spare beds. One set only lasted a few washes before the elastic wore out, the other set hurt my niece's skin, so we gave them away and bought some better quality sheets for her bed. These new sheets will go on the other bed, the one that hubby's daughter uses when she comes to visit. She likes the softer sheets too.

Up here in the north country, we have to have two sets of sheets - summer and winter. The winter ones are warm, cuddly polar fleece-type material. My nieces love snuggling down into those when they visit.

(Maya Angelou)