The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 116 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#124299 - 07/23/07 04:52 AM inspiring little girl
katebcca Offline

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
Today I dragged my two teens out of bed and took them to their grandma's church (my ex mother-in-law, we are good friends) She invited me and asked that I bring the kids. I knew they would complain but brought them anyway. I told them that their grandma does nice things for them and it's important to do things for others whether you want to or not. Begrudgingly they came.

Every week at her church there is a different topic. The topic today (it's a new age kind of church) was young people who make a difference. A little girl was speaking on her fundraising efforts. She is 12 or 13 and has a condition, not sure I think she said NF. Anyway she has had four back surgeries and the doctor told her she will never walk again. She is walking just fine now. Her motto, always think positive, never negative. When the doctor told her she would never walk again she said "well maybe I will and maybe I won't, but I'm going to think positive" Wow! This little girl is called the "Penny Girl" she is only 4' 2" due to her surgeries.

She has been raising pennies for the children's hospital and other kids charities. She started doing this when she was six as she wanted to give back. She said she received leg braces from a charity and saw other kids in the hospital who needed help and weren't getting it. Unfortunately she has befriended children who died of cancer. This only inspired her more.

To date she has raised six hundred thousand dollars, her goal is a million. There is no doubt in my mind that she will reach it. She has daily pain but keeps on going. She says doing this takes her mind off the pain. For the past 3 years she has shaved her head for Cops for Cancer and has raised $10,000 just for that. She wants to give back and is one inspiring kid. Soon she will be flying to Toronto to Hillary Duff's concert as her special guest. She will go back stage, have a photo shoot with the singer and has been given a $1000.00 for a shopping spree. Man, she deserves it. She is so excited.

Isn't this wonderful, my kids were both crying, so was I. To hear her talk in such a matter of fact way, the wisdom she has was just incredible. Today we were blessed with a special gift from a little girl who is making a difference.
Kate

#124300 - 07/23/07 08:35 AM Re: inspiring little girl [Re: katebcca]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
And this little girl has probably impressed your children more then a Mom's talking to.

That was so good that you insisted they go to church with you. What a wonderful awarding day. There ARE saints on this earth.

#124301 - 07/23/07 11:45 AM Re: inspiring little girl [Re: Edelweiss]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Kate,
Thanks for sharing that inspiring story! And what a positive influence for your children.

#124302 - 07/23/07 12:32 PM Re: inspiring little girl [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Emyjay Offline

Can you imagine what this little one can accomplish if she is able to "hold on" to this positive attitude?

She's touching people's lives, now. And those people who have been touched will touch others.

Reminds me of a great -- but somewhat sad -- movie where a young boy tries to teach others to "pass it on." Can anyone remember the name of this movie?

I'm also amazed at the power children have to influence adults to "do the right thing." Or, more.

Guess it's because, for the most part, many of these children are so innocent and seem to "think" beyond their years.

Wonderful story, Katebecca!

Blessings,

Emily in Maryland

#124303 - 07/23/07 03:50 PM Re: inspiring little girl [Re: Emyjay]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Play It Forward. Is that the one you're talkinga bout?

Kate, kudos to you for making the kids go. I've certainly been there, done that and I know it can be exhausting...but what a pay off today was.

#124304 - 08/02/07 01:41 AM Re: inspiring little girl
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
what a pay off indeed, and what a great spirite in that girle, its great she has the will to channel it this way and parents that support and encourage her to do so. Sometimes diversitie or struggle gives people the oumph to rise abouve whats expected of them, i always love thse types of examples knowing that it can be done, and also rember to be understanding for others in same situasion who can't quite do what this girl is doing.

i say a programe last week about 3 teens who weer extra tall, the first guy loved his hight had no surgerie to stop his groowth and is reaching 7 foor 7 inces and stillo growing he travel from uk to usa for a basketball schollership he's set to earm millions and is onlie 19. The second lad wanted to be a macanikice and found his back couldn't take the strain of him stooping so low he had several surgeries on his legs (growth plates) and was stoping aroung 7 foor 5 but his back was still growing even if his legs wern't. He felt an outcast and couldn't cope with the stares and pointing so had nearlie became a recluse. With the help of the programe he found a place in a modelling agencie that specilised in bassare or strange people, all ecessive. He's a good looking lad and photographes well so looked like he had a brighter future ahead for himself. The girl was 6 foor 1 at 13 but they calculated she onlie grow a few more inches at most she felt she could live with it. Her main problem was clothes and shoes. She had to get fitted out at shops who sell to transexule/transvestite men, or men that dressed in dragg.

but she coped and seemed happie enough and adjusted with her hight she was at bording school and had a clos nit circle of frends. Just showes one what one can cope with and turn positive with help and support of our frends.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved